Keeping the Dream Alive


Educators. Parents.
Students. People.

Resources for Educators, Pre-Collegiate Programs, Community Organizations and Students

The resources below have been compiled with the help of many individuals, community groups and local and national organizations. In no way should they be considered an original source of information; nor are they a legal guide, and so should not be used as such.

This is a collection of existing and new resources, information and strategies for advising students through the college admission process. We have attempted to give credit where credit is known and deserved. However, in some instances, we were unable to locate the original sources of information for various reasons. In those cases, we apologize in advance. It is our hope that other community organizations understand the intent is to provide updated and accurate information to impact the lives of students, not to take credit for the resources and materials others may have produced.

To add to this resource, or to suggest changes or recommendations, please contact us.


The Colorado Keeping the DREAM Alive Planning  Committee

Download the comprehensive guide to Advising Undocumented Students - KtDA 2017



Take charge of your future

Signed in to law on April 29, 2013, Advancing Students for a Stronger Tomorrow (ASSET) allows eligible students to pay in-state tuition at Colorado’s public colleges and universities as long as they meet certain qualifications. The Colorado ASSET law allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition and receive the College Opportunity Fund stipend at Colorado public colleges.

Are You Eligible? Find Out

In general, you will need to:

  • Have attended high school for three years right before you graduated
  • Be admitted to a participating college within twelve months of graduating
  • Sign an affidavit, if you are not legally present in the U.S., saying that you are currently seeking or will seek legal status as soon as you are eligible.

Since ASSET and DACA both affect Colorado’s undocumented youth, it’s easy to confuse the policies. Here’s how they impact one another:

  • ASSET is a state law that affects the cost of attendance at Colorado public higher education institutions only; it does not affect immigration status or lawful presence. DACA is a federal policy set by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Department that allows qualifying young people to apply for a renewable, three-year period of deferred action and work authorization.
  • Students who qualify for ASSET do not automatically qualify for DACA, and vice versa. A student may qualify for ASSET or DACA only, qualify for both or qualify for neither.

Check if you’re eligible for Colorado Asset and review the Qualification Chart.
Understand the difference between Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Advancing Students for a Stronger Tomorrow (ASSET).



Per USCIS Website as of Oct 6th 2017 DACA is Ending

We are no longer accepting initial or renewal requests for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. We will consider DACA requests received from residents of the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on a case-by-case basis. 

If you are a current DACA recipient and your still-valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you may request a replacement EAD by filing a new Form I-765 at any time, if the EAD is still valid.

We will no longer approve advance parole requests associated with DACA.

Read the 2017 DACA announcement.

Top 5 Things to Know About the Announcement that DACA is Being Ended

FAQ on DACA Termination September 5, 2017




2017 DREAM Act




Call RMIAN’s Detention Hotline: 303-866-9308

Other helpful internet resources:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Executive Office of Immigration Review
Denver Immigration Court
Immigrant Legal Resource Center
The Florence Immigrant and Refugee Rights Project
American Immigration Council
ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project
National Immigration Project
Detention Watch Network
National Center for Immigrant and Refugee Children
Campaign to Rescue and Restore Victims of Human Trafficking

family PREPAREDNESS checklist

Taken from the blog "The Other Discussion About Immigration" Contributed by Claudia Hurtado-Myers.

  1. Sign several blank USCIS Form G-28s (attorney representation forms) so that a family member can hire an attorney to act on behalf of someone who has been detained.
  2. Be financially prepared to hire an attorney.
  3. Execute one or several Power of Attorneys, giving authority only to a well-known and trusted person who can act in your best interests if you are detained and removed. Your immigration attorney will want to have one point of contact in the event you are detained.

That Power of Attorney should also contemplate the following:

  • Who will pick up your last check at your employer’s location?
  • Who will sell your property, including your home?
  • What will happen to all your personal belongings?
  • Who will handle all your personal accounts? Such as your electricity bill, phone bill, insurance, and other household accounts.

Execute a Department of Motor Vehicles Power of Attorney so that a trusted person can sell or transfer
title regarding the motor vehicle(s) owned by a detained person.

  • In the area of child custody, it is advisable that undocumented parents seek advice from a local family law attorney.
    • Write down your intended plan for children who may be left behind. Desires for childcare in the United States should be in writing and notarized.
    • If the children are to join the parent following removal, then execute a notarized letter of permission for the children to travel outside of the United States with a named adult person.
    • Obtain United States Passports for all United States Citizen Children. List passport numbers and place a copy of the passport biography page for each child in a secure location.
    • Obtain an Apostille from your state’s Secretary of State for the birth certificates of all United States Citizen Children.
    • Obtain an Apostille from your nation’s consulate regarding the birth records of children born outside of the United States
  • Obtain a current passport from your nation’s consulate office.
  • Obtain official FBI records report for any foreign-born person who has a criminal conviction or a prior order of removal, including all border deportations.
  • Interview companies that service Federal Immigration Bonds and write down the contact information for the preferred company in a secure location.
  • Keep a copy of all prior immigration records in a secure location. Keep a copy of all tax filings in a secure location.
  • Keep a copy of evidence that proves continuous residence in the United States in a secure location.
  • Evidence should include a variety of dated documents from each year since arrival in the United States.
  • For example:
    • Lease Records
    • Pay Stubs
    • School Records
    • Household Bills
    • Any other document with your name and dates, provingresidence

This list is not a comprehensive list, but it better addresses how families should be prepared. This preparation will not “cure” an individual’s unlawful status and it will not prevent any possible deportation. It will give undocumented individuals and their families’ the peace of mind needed to have their affairs in order if the unthinkable were to happen.